2018 Pilot Study Funding Awarded for Translational Research
Among the Pilot Awards from UW Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (UW ICTR) announced in support of translational, clinical, methods, dissemination and implementation, and stakeholder-engaged studies, a total of 5 principal investigators (PIs) and 3 collaborators involved in the funded projects are members of the Department of Medicine.
Awards ranged from $50,000 over 1 year to $150,000 over 18 months.
ICTR pilot award PIs from the Department of Medicine include:
- Feyza Engin, PhD; assistant professor, Department of Biomolecular Chemistry and Department of Medicine (Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism), for "Pharmacological Modulation of ErbB Signaling to Prevent Type1 Diabetes"
- Kara Goss, MD, assistant professor, Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, for "Improving Right Ventricular Function in Young Adults Born Preterm"
- Ravi Vaidyanathan, PhD, associate scientist, Cardiovascular Medicine, for "Identifying Novel Mechanisms for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome"
- Joel Buchanan, MD, professor (CHS), General Internal Medicine, for "Evaluation of the Impact of a Problem Oriented View on Clinical Workflows"
- Meghan Brennan, MD, MS, assistant professor (CHS), Infectious Disease, for "Identifying strategies to provide integrated care for rural patients with diabetic foot ulcers"
Collaborators from the department include:
- Christie Bartels, MD, MS, assistant professor, Rheumatology, for "Identifying strategies to provide integrated care for rural patients with diabetic foot ulcers"
- Megan Piper, PhD, associate professor, General Internal Medicine - Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, for ""Reach and Teach: Translating 'Mind Over Matter - Healthy Bowels, Healthy Bladder' for Digital Delivery"
- Amye Tevaarwerk, MD, associate professor (CHS), Hematology, Medical Oncology and Palliative Care, for "Engaging Stakeholders to Improve the Quality of Breast Cancer Follow-up: Development of a Novel Approach to Breast Cancer Follow-up Care"
- "Pilot awards program funds 22 projects for 2018," UW Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, July 12, 2018